Trying to rent or sub-lease your space can seem daunting (and even seem impossible), especially if you’ve already been looking for renters. One of the most important aspects of advertising that your place is up for rent (or Sublease), is having the right pictures to make your place look inviting.
Not a professional photographer? Can’t hire one? No worries! Anyone can take the right pictures to make a space look good if you follow some simple DIY photography tips (by the way all these pics were shot with iPhone):
1. AESTHETICS -- Make your space look visually appealing. Organize, clean, and tidy things up. If your space is messy, when prospective tenants are visualizing moving in, they will inevitably see themselves in the mess -- no one wants to live in a mess!
2. LIGHTING -- Open your blinds and curtains. Bring in as much natural light into the space as you can. Natural light makes a space look more alive and inviting. This will make your pictures look cheery and pleasant.
3. TIMING -- The best time of day to capture your space is around Sunset. This will make your space look warm and cozy. Not sure when sunset will be? Do a quick Google search! Quick disclaimer these photos were not shot in Sunset just because I had the inspiration in day light...
4. MAXIMIZATION -- Don’t be discouraged by the size of your space. You can make any place look great and larger than it really is if you capture it from the right angles. Bring the camera as close to the wall as possible to get the widest view of the room, this will make it appear larger.
5. ORIENTATION -- As a general rule, take all of your pictures horizontally. This will capture more of the room at one time and is most appealing to the eye.
6. DETAILS -- People love unusual fun accents! Capture some shots of the the interesting architecture, the cool bathroom upgrade, the great counters in the kitchen, or even some of your fun decor. This just shows the great possibilities that your space has!
7. FINALLY -- Don’t stress about it! Put your favorite music on, pour yourself a drink, and have fun. Follow these guidelines, and trust that just the right person will come along!
Following these seven steps should not only get you just the pictures you are looking for, but the perfect tenant you are looking for! Good luck!